Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Check your Pockets (laundry room sign)

I'm in the process of jazzing up my laundry room. Its so blah and boring. And with 4 kids around, and now that my husband and I BOTH workout regularly again (it had been only him as I recovered from the c-section), I am spending a lot of time in that tiny little room. So, I wanted to make it a fun, happy place, as much as it possibly could be.
I love the blog Young House Love. (I know, who doesn't?) A few months ago, they posted this picture taken in a house that was in the Richmond Parade of Homes.



I immediately thought 2 things. A- I want that! (to be said like the lady buying Tupperware on Napoleon Dynamite)
B- I bet I can make that! 
So I got to work. 
This project actually cost me a grand total of $0! I had everything I needed on hand. I love when that happens!

So heres what you need if you want to do it the way I did-
(If you don't have it on hand, it won't cost much.)

-A piece of wood the size of your choice. (I have a minuscule laundry room with hardly any wall space. So mine measures 6x12 inches.) 
-paint in color of choice
-stain in color of choice
-vinyl or stencil for letters
-sawtooth hanger or Command Strips
-twine
-2 baby food jars
-cup hooks (pictured below)


First step- stain your wood and let dry. I used Minwax Dark Walnut.


Next- Apply your vinyl lettering. I just messed around with the Silhouette Software until I came up with something similar to my inspiration pic. You could also use a stencil to paint, or try freehand. There are a million different ways you could make this your own. And since its kind of a funky board anyway, it doesn't have to be perfect!


Next I added the sawtooth hanger to the back, and the 2 cup hooks to the front. I thought I was going to add the jars and be done! But, no. As you can see, the hooks just looked awkward and stood out too much.  And my letters didn't stand out enough.  (these pictures actually make it look a little better than it really was.) 


So I got to thinking, and decided to use the vinyl as a reverse stencil. So I painted over the whole thing, vinyl included, in the same paint that I used for my piano bench. Behr "Surfer". I did the dry brush technique, to make it look weathered and save myself some time sanding. I didn't bother taping off the hooks because I wanted them to get just a little bit of paint on them as well. It made those puppies blend in a little better, and now they have a weathered, chippy look as well. 


Next- peel off the vinyl to reveal gorgeous stained letters!



 Last step- I took some twine, wrapped it twice around my jars, knotted it off, and hung them from the hooks.




And there you have it! It was such an easy project and took hardly any time at all. And it would have taken even less had I chose a lighter stain, or used a lighter color of vinyl. But I actually really like the little pop of color that this piece now adds to my laundry room, so it was a happy mistake. It was hard to get a good pic because its at the end of a long, dark hall with no windows, but you get the idea. Or maybe it's because I know virtually nothing about photography. We'll just say its the lack of windows, K?
I just barely hung mine, so the jars are empty. But I'm really hoping that this project is functional as well as cute. If I open up the washer to find tiny bits of soggy paper throughout the whole load, one more time......


Linking this project up to the following wicked awesome parties-


Today's Creative Blog
Tatertots and Jello
Six SIsters Stuff
Positively Splendid
Pin It Now!

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE your take on that sign! And so useful too...I am always finding receipts and spare change in my husband's pockets! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. My husband always leaves pens in his pockets, disaster waiting to happen! So hopefully we all remember to use it!

      Delete
  2. this is soo cute! seriously - Jae always has paper or coins or wrappers or grass or something in his pockets haha. this is such a good idea. and i need something on my laundry area wall anyway. thanks dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about boys and keeping things in their pockets? Last week I opened the dryer and half the load was covered in yellow stuff! Come to find out, little man had left a yellow crayon in his pocket. Little scoundrel. I had to wash those clothes 3 more times, and it still isn't all off! If you end up doing it, show me a pic!

      Delete
  3. How totally adorable! I love how you just went with it and made it up as you went to figure out what you wanted yours to look like. I think almost all of my craft projects work that way. I go into it thinking it will go one way, then have to figure it out as I go. Stopping by to say 'Hi'! What a gorgeous blog you've got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It happens to me frequently as well!

      Delete
  4. WOW! That looks awesome, and so easy to make! Thanks Stacia for visiting me and for the sweet words :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super easy! And cheap, (well free for me) to boot! Favorite kind of project!

      Delete
  5. I love that you painted over the vinyl and then exposed the wood! It looks great! Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Whatever Goes Wednesday.
    Amy @ The Happy Scraps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came over Amy- Im on my way to check out your blog!

      Delete
  6. Left the tab of your blog open earlier today after your comment on my blog meaning to come back. So glad I did! Love your easy little project AND I love that it went pretty much the same way all of mine do - make it up as you go along! I'm going to go follow along with you now so I can keep up with all the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came back Courtenay! I'm always happy to make new friends!

      Delete
  7. i love how it turned out! i think it looks great with the reverse stencil effect, love the weathered blue paint. when i have a house some day, do you want to come decorate it for me?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything for you my dear! But you don't need my help, you always have cute stuff!

      Delete
  8. Your version is so seriously cool. I do that all the time ... see something, want it, DIY it. But know how rarely it works out exactly as planned with a budget of $0. Congrats to you. :) So happy to be featured with you at tt&j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karah! I'm happy you stopped by. I'm on my way over to your blog right now to take a look around!

      Delete
  9. This is a great idea, Stacia! I'm always leaving bobby pins in my pockets, and my husband has left a pen in his pocket, so... yeah... This would be a good thing to have around :) Thanks for sharing!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pens and gum are the worst! Glad we aren't the only ones who do that!

      Delete
  10. Since I am constantly fishing DS games, legos and spare change out of my washer and dryer...this would be perfect for us! We'd love for you to share this at our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/08/riverton-housewives-round-up-30.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm not the only one? Good! Thanks for stopping by, I'll go check out the party!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...